PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF from Frankfurt
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2005, 19:59
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
By buying eight A380, it appears to me that QF is still wedded to the idea that Australia begins and ends in Sydney.

In my untutored opinion, they would have been better off buying a stack of smaller aircraft and doing the city pair thing and reinventing themselves, but no.

QF management seems wedded to the idea that air travel is going to become a commodity ie: QF is a price taker not a price maker, cost is everything. However the dysfunctional part of their strategy is the idea that people will be prepared to travel via Sydney to obtain this commodity. That is just stupid.

People who buy commodities expect it delivered to their door. They do not put up with inconvenience to get it. In other words, I go to the nearest petrol station to fill up.

In addition, I do not want to have to board and pass through immigration and customs with 800 of my colleagues either. Do you really think that the Commonwealth immigration department is going to double the size of midnight to 8.00am shift or whatever to accomodate one A380 arrival?

I guess the benefit for QF is that at least they will keep the Sydney based market. However the rest of us not based in Sydney will choose to fly direct to our intended destination and bypass Sydney and QF.

I guess QF will have justified the A380 in part on the business market, businsss and first class yadda yadda. Well I have news for you sunshine. I gave my staff the option on trips longer than twelve hours take business or take economy and have a two day break before doing business and on the way back. Guess which way most chose to travel?

I might fly QF domestically, but only if VB doesn't have seats. I have a stack of frequent flyer points, but I can't be bothered with the aggravation and hassle of trying to find a seat.

Airport lounges are not an issue, if I want to use the VB one I'll pay for it and the airports I use normally don't have QF lounges anyway.

Last trip to Singapore was by SQ A340 - a direct fast pleasant no nonsense trip with no hassles. Sure the service is impersonal, so what? Would I get any better on QF? The answer is no, in fact it would probably be worse.

Lauda to Vienna much the same. Their bonhomie is a little forced and Austrians are pushy, but would I get any better on QF? I don't think so.

Last two QF flights were disappointments as far as service went. Both Business class because I was really pushed for time and those electric seats really do allow you to get a little sleep, once to Paris via Sydney and the other direct MEL- LAX until a leaking spoiler actuator on pushback turned it into a flight via Sydney and a five hour delay.

Flying QF = Disappointment.

There is a thing in six sigma quality assurance about "delighting your customers". QF used to do that once.

Last edited by Sunfish; 9th Feb 2005 at 20:19.