PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Behave yourselves, you naughty ATCOs !!!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2002, 02:49
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Karoshi,

You are entitled to your opinion, and as we are in the Democratic PPruNe world, I'll defend your right to say it. That's what the Forums (Fora?) here are all about.

Personally I don't agree however. The NERC and LATCC "Standards" are enshrined in the CORE VALUE and LATCC charter documents that everybody is already aware of already.

The "New Opportunity" document goes a lot further and in my opinion is blatantly intimidatory towards the operational staff, which I repeat have done an exceptional job under extremely trying circumstances. The VAST majority of those staff have not behaved badly in any shape or form, and yet, here they are singled out for criticism.

By all means tackle those who have allegedly had problems. On proper investigation it may well be that there is more to each story than first meets the eye. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

The world of Operational ATC, at LATCC, ScATCC, MAASTRICHT, KZFW... wherever you care to mention in world, is FULL of strong characters. It is in the nature of the job. Every ATCO I've ever met had STRONG opinions and has had no difficulty in expressing them. Ever wonder why? In order to do a high pressure job, function in a team and all the million and one other things that good controllers do, a certain mindset has to exist, or be developed. It's one that admin staff in particular have difficulty with I've noticed.

Whilst I do not advocate bad behaviour towards anyone, it has to be accepted that OPERATIONAL staff work under a different pressure from those in offices. It is failure of management not to recognise this.

As I said at the top, you are welcome to your opinions, but I don't agree. Neither do the majority of ATCOs at LATCC methinks.

Best rgds BEX