PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Behave yourselves, you naughty ATCOs !!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2002, 15:11
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The Full unexpurgated (sp?) version of the letter entitled A new opportunity is in the "welcome pack" issued to all those operational ATCOs and ATSAs posted to NERC. It's dated 17th Jan and has been signed by all the watch managers as well as Rob Herron and Al Lewis. Presumably they all agree with the contents, or perhaps none of them had the courage to stand up for the MAJORITY of their staff.

Well, to all those who signed the letter I have to say this. I find it insulting in the extreme that the failure of management to deal sensibly with a few dubious occurances leads to all the operational staff being branded a bunch of troublemakers.

I, and ALL OF MY COLLEAGUES at LATCC (AC & TC) have worked exceptionally hard over the past year, with little appreciation or thanks from "the management" who now have the Champagne on ice ready for this weekend. It seems to me that these managers have little grasp of the pressures of real live ATC today.

They have an even smaller grasp of the result of publishing a letter like this does to staff morale and willingness to "contibute". It also does nothing to improve their own standing in the eyes of those they say they are managing.

Regardless of the feelings of the existing staff at NERC, it is a fact that at present it is not an operational unit . Whatever cosy atmosphere they are used to at the moment it is a fact that they will have to accept that things will change when Swanwick goes live and becomes what it has been designed for. An operational ACC.

I would hope, but doubt, that NERC staff have been advised that they will have to change their attitude somewhat, and become more tolerant of the operational staff, who they are supposed to be providing support services for.

I do not condone the actions of a very small group of people at LATCC but often those actions are entirely understandable. The fact that they have not been managed or lead very well at all is the key issue. What has been forgotten (rather easily) is that these same small number of people have also been providing a FIRST CLASS ATC service under extreme circumstances. So what if they go off the rails occassionally. Professionally they have done a rather difficult job, rather well.

I watched a number of people open their welcome packs for NERC. The reaction on reading "A New Opportunity" has been the same for all of them. Anger, resentment etc. More than once I have heard the comment "Well, if thats what management think of us, they can bloody well F*** OFF!".

Feedback. Here it is. What are you going to do about it Mssrs Herron, Lewis, Cheese & Ham etc etc.

Best rgds BEX.

Spleen vented... I feel much, much better.