PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus 22 Crash - 1 Dead. Crisis.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 16:28
Confabulous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Genghis, we can always rely on you to bring a large measure of objectivity and fact to the proceedings. Very interesting reading!

The same Con that told us before in a previous thread that the cirrus was JAR certified.
The Cirrus SR20 is JAR certificated. The SR22 is undergoing certification. Spins will be prohibited.

It's aerodynamically impossible to spin an aircraft without stalling it first. Cirri follow the same rules of physics - if there is a stall/spin accident it is down to mishandling or misconfiguring the aircraft.

My theory - for what it's worth - is that the glass cockpit is giving a few pilots a newfound sense of bravery - they think the aircraft is foolproof, so they head into conditions they wouldn't take a steam guage equipped model. And they die.

With regards to the BRS - my gut feeling is that they might think it's a bit of a cheat to float out of danger. Humans aren't known for being logical under intense pressure unless they're very highly trained - military/test/airline pilots are a good example of how well trained you need to be to THINK in a spin, in IFR, with wing icing and terrain coming up to meet you. I've no idea how I would react in that situation - if I would react at all.

The SR20 and -22 have the same 'laminar flow' aerofoil - have there been as many stall/spin accidents in the SR20's? No. So that's the 'unsafe wing design' theory down the drain.

Bottom line: The SR22 is NOT an A320... there's no alpha floor (stall protection) function, it's responsive, and if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time, you'll probably die in it, as in any other aircraft.

Confab

PS:

Deice's comment about the 737 probably relates to 2 icing-related crashes - the rudder servo froze at high altitude and the aircraft experienced an uncommanded 'rudder hardover' - the rudder locked fully over in flight and the aircraft hit the ground vertically at 500kts.

Last edited by Confabulous; 8th Feb 2005 at 19:43.