PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus 22 Crash - 1 Dead. Crisis.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 14:34
Sheilanagig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vino. Er yes it is actually..although fussy is a technical term I would not have used myself. High performance wings actually suffer worse that others - recent Challenger crash at Aspen is an example - but dont get me wrong here, ice on any wing is BAD, but take a high peformance wing and add in dodgy stall issues (SR22) and throw ice in on top and then we really are into testpilot land

Michael 59. Good question.
I have spoken to many Cirrus owners and opinions are varied. You may be lucky and it might rip off,... or it may act as the worlds biggest drag chute in which case you are in the deepest doodoo..actually horrific to think about.

Dub guy. Now I wouldnt say the Ford Mondeo is a dangerous car, but remember the Ford Pinto. Dangerous yes. Its a fact some products Cars, Aircraft, Medicine, you name it, are more dangerous than others. a good clue is to go to the NTSB website and find out which types are MORE dangerous than others. The SR22 is currently running at 3 times the mean of its nearest rival in the 'dangerous' stakes.

Con.

The same Con that told us before in a previous thread that the cirrus was JAR certified.

"Most Cirri have the TKS icing system, but the icing could have overpowered this, or maybe it just ran out - or maybe it just wasn't switched on." TRUE I agree completely.

"Chances are if the BRS was deployed at too high a speed it would seriously damage the fuse structure - and the shock of opening could cause the wings to fail negative if it was excessive " TRUE . Perhaps you might pass this info to KITKAT who (depite his 600+ hours on type) has stated previously that the "CAPS can be deployed at any spped".

Guys. It all about the WING.

I will be suprised if Cirrus dont radically redesign within the next year.