PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 08:06
martinidoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke to Storm a few months ago (who owns Eshott airfield), and he gave me the impression that he would certainly consider PPL training, if it were feasible. He indicated that as far as his present planning authorisation is concerned, he could undertake training.

The main stumbling block remains that in order to offer JAR ab initio PPL training, the CAA require an airfield to be licenced. This has several implications particulalry in relation to fire cover, and to the layout of the airfield, and the surrounding area.

The CAA has been conducting a review into the licencing requirements for PPL training for about the last two years. It was widely expected that there would be some rationlisation of the regulations, recognising that the requirements for full scale scheduled commercial operations, are not the same as for PPL training.

I know that some years ago Steve Marples looked into getting Eshott licenced, and certainly under the exisiting regulations his assessment was that it was not financially viable.

If the amendments to the regulations were to make the prospect financially viable, then it was my impression that Storm would consider setting up PPL training.

As far as the facilities are concerned, Eshott would make a very suitable facility for PPL training, which would be much more cost effective than operating out of EGNT. As far as navigation aids are concerned, it would probably be possible to perform a let down at EGNT and then proceed visually as is the case from EGPH for Cumbernauld. However, the instrument aspects of the PPL only require a 180 turn out of cloud, and a demonstartion of instrument position fixing and VOR tracking, all of which can be achieved without entering the Newcastle zone.

Paradoxically, IMC and other rating training and renewals can be done at non-licenced fields, although the procedural elements of the IMC course would of course require a field with suitable approach aids and published IAPs.