PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Murray/Bodill Round the World
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 00:27
Nigel Osborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farsouth

My previous company operated in the Antartic for about 25 years. During that time, 2 of their pilots achieved 2000 hours there without mishap. In fact I can not recall a single pilot induced incident or accident. The machines did go down there by ship but tell me why flying across South America is more dangerous or difficult than flying across Europe or Russia or India or China or the Middle East or the Far East or Australia? Surely a ferry flight properly planned should not pose a great problem as long as the machine stays serviceable. I've only done 10 or so flights of greater than 4000 miles, all before the GPS was invented and neither I nor any other pilot had any problems.
I believe Dick Smith, a private pilot flew a 206 to both poles in the 80s.
Most charter companies just get on with the job and don't go looking for hero status, so no one knows how many pilots have flown to the south pole.
Yes, if they can afford it thats fine but don't tell me it's any harder or more dangerous than most flights pilots do every day. I know during my 44 years flying helicopters that I have done far more difficult flights than when I was in the Antarctic.