PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New job opportunities
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 22:30
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Indeed! After 208 AFS moved out, the FAA moved in with their Sea Hawks, Sea Venoms, Gannets plus the odd Meteor TT - and Wastelands worked on Sabres and the odd Wyvern. This was whilst Heron was being extended for the 'Vixen.... I was also told that there was a Whirlwind fighter (or possibly a Welkin) behind the Wastelands hangar. That area later became a gypsy camp.

There was also an experimental twin-Nene vectored thrust Meteor which did some trials there in the early '50s; I explored the disused test tunnels as a child many years later! They were just east of the eastern taxiway opposite the GCA hut ramp on RW 26.

It was a great place for watching various aeroplanes when I lived nearby; regrettably there are only helicopters there nowadays.

Did my first solo at Merryfield on a bicycle, then a Cox PT-19 control line model aeroplane, then a Veron Robot radio controlled model aeroplane and eventually in a T-21 glider. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago in the back of the RNHF Chipmunk. Most of the old buildings on the aerodrome have long since disappeared - it looks very smart and ship shape now!

Sorry about the blatant thread creep!