PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parallel entries to the racetrack
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 21:08
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"IAS below 130Kt: Entry into racetrack only via holding"

I am using the Jeppesen Chart (11-1) dated 7 Nov 03. It has the statement in the plan view.
It's an interesting interpretation: the French says:

"* Les entrées dans l'hippodrome de 1 min 30 sont protégées"

i.e. Racetrack entries of 1 min 30 s are protected.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to come to grief after 2 minutes at 120 KIAS but not after 1 min 30 s at 160 KIAS.

But anyway, let's assume you're flying a sector 1 entry at 150 kt for 1 min 30. That's 3.75 nm. Thus turning through 243 on the left turn inbound you might be 1.6 miles north of track and if you take a 45 degree intercept you'll intercept the localiser about 0.3 miles after the glideslope intercept point, allowing no time to make the 45 degree right turn back on to the inbound track. So it's almost impossible to fly. Less than 150 kt makes it worse, of course.

Albi L 09, also using a sector 1 join with a 45 degree intercept, allows you to intercept the inbound just 40 seconds before crossing the beacon inbound, where the charted altitude is 950 ft below the turn altitude. Put another way, from intercept you have 1 min 20 s to the threshold 1636 ft below. It's about 500 ft/nm gradient.

It just surprises me that the procedures are designed that way, if I'm correctly interpreting the prohibition on descent until established.