PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what is the best helicopter in autorotation
Old 7th Feb 2005, 18:24
zeeoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow rotor :
your system has interest, but the way to produce high pressure water jets may be heavier than high pressure air, the water leaks may quickly degrade the rotor mechanism.. air leaks don't.... BTW this is a one or two-use system and i am not for that.....

Nick,
very interesting.. let me try to defend my idea...
(1) yes, i feel the tip nozzles induce great losses..that's why i think in using wing-nozzles : http://zeeoo.free.fr/gyro/nozzle.jpg
the drag and little pitch up moment may be neglectable, BTW, the air-jet doesnt act where the tip-vortex is, and this vortex decreases the efficiency of the tip jet, right?
The use of a squared nozzle is made to avoid the air spinning at the output, this effet can be improved by the use of a nozzle grid (like quiteners in wind tunnels).

(2) You took the example of the rotodyne : YES if think in using the tip jets only for pre rotation and a residual in-flight power..
Let's say that i would share the power by 35 hp to the comp and 50 to the prop (that is enough for FW flight).
The weight of a supercharger w/oil cooling circuit is about 12 lbs.

it may be a little diffiult to do, but, if it works, that adds a great safety feature and allows a higher fw speed.

Thanks for your kind and interesting contribution.

Victor