PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parallel entries to the racetrack
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2005, 14:01
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry, OzExpat & others,

Looked at the wrong procedure for Albi 09, Lctr 09 indeed states a timing of 1:30 for the racetrack. However, since the navaid, tracks & altitudes are the same as for the VOR or Lctr LLZ approach to 09, the airspace protection from obstacles will be the same. Therefore, one could inform the controller that one would like to extend to 2:00 or 2:30 depending on category, and - provided that is approved - enjoy the same obstacle clearance while leaving more room to establish. But yes, 1:30 should be enough, especially if you keep 120 kt. outbound (Cat. B limit of 2:00 applies).

Bookworm, yes, indeed without DME or any other supplemental naviagtion, you face the same problem as in Amiens. 1 round in the racetrack probably required. And absolutely right, you cannot dsc before being established on the inbound track, so no dsc below procedure altitude during the turn.

DFC, sorry, but cannot see why an aircraft flying less than 130 KIAS cannot make a paralllel entry to the racetrack, time outbound to 2:00 as described on the plate, and then make the inbound turn from there? Or even go al the way to DIPKA at MK DME 9,6, then turn inbound? Especially since the initial & intermediate approach altitudes are at the MSA, AFAIK we could proceed on MK brg 063 deg. until 23,5 NM and then turn inbound (allowing 1,5 NM turn radius). You are spot on on the requirement to track the inbound course in a racetrack after a parallel entry - I must admit I do it with both holdings & racetracks, so I only have to use one procedure - lazy as I am

Regarding the suitability of higher-speed aircraft to fit into the procedure - agree, a real PITA. Assuming that anything being CAT B or above will nowadays have B-RNAV, arriving from the WNW I would personally - in lieu of vectors - ask to self-establish via DIPKA. Avoids the speed/config hazzle - again being a lazy pilot beliving in making it the easiest way - when that also turns out to be the safest way.

Best reagrds to all from
Empty.

Once again - lydsexia slrikes beck :doh: