PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barton Happening.................
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 15:57
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSD, don't add LPL into that equation, they are getting busier by the day, and it is only a matter of time that it goes the same way as at MAN, being that GA happens, and is just tolerated, but only for a lucky few. Hard trying to get circuits these days, I've even heard of guys at Liverpool, falling out of bed at 6am at a weekend, calling ATC to book circuits and then going back to bed.
Circuits at MAN are a none starter, and sadly we are heading the same wayat Liverpool. (Another Peel Entity you will note)

Sadly GA is well and truly under fire in the UK, especially in the north of England, one only needs to read the adverts in Pilot every month for schools, and they are all down south. Should the inevitable happen, I don't know where I will go to learn, as Sleap is nearly a 2 hour drive away from where I live, the sad fact is that I will probobly give it up alltogether.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, this is a short sighted view from airport operators who are only interested in the bottom line, and fail to see that without GA, and flying schools in all its guises, there wouldn't be commercial pilots. I imagine that nearly all airline pilots have at least a few hours in a 172 somewhere in the log books, and yet unless you have a couple of jets attatched to your plane, they don't want to know you.

Now Barton has been around for a very long time, and long may it continue to do so, but for the pessemists amongst us, just ask yourselves the question, who owns Barton, Which huge shopping complex is over the road, and who owns that??? I truly hope not, and short term maybe nothing will happen, but long term, who knows??? I for one fancy being involved in GA for a lot longer than any lease they may let Barton have.

As there is so little, and what we have is fading fast, we need to stand up and be counted, write to MP's (there is an election due!!) Lets protest, and lets make a difference.

On a final thought from the rant, what are the chances of Stretton being re-opened. Right in the middle of the motorway network and the Manchester Low Level Route, what better location for GA could you think of??