PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - cadet program - SO
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 07:02
Hajj Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading and have gotten a few PM’s from people on this subject asking me what do I think? I have been very busy with flying, the Hajj Season with family and so on so I have not had time to sit and really reply or digest this entire situation.

Here is what I think about the events going on at QR concerning this:

They have been a few first officers that have gone out and bought an A-300 type rating in Jordan I believe and joined Qatar Airways. Some of them are the son’s of captains that are presently here with Qatar Airways. I have to add that they are not Qatari but are from another Arab country (not that this matters I think).
I think they have to go through 80 sectors with a training captain. Out of these 80 sectors, they don’t taxi the aircraft until sector 30 and it is a long tiring drawn out process for them of constant questions every flight. We all know that just doing the initial 6 to 7 sectors when you first join a company is hard, so can you imagine? Anyhow these guys are online now and I am not sure if they are getting paid as a F/O or a S/O don’t know anyway of finding out, sorry.

I think that this program of hiring these FEW guys went well so they are now and will always look for CHEAP ways of filling the cockpit. Most likely one of the bean counters that presents spreadsheets to the CEO has shown him how they can crew the airplanes for less money and is trying to introduce this “low Cost” idea. No offence to the low time pilots out there but Qatar Airways is trying to portray a “5 Star Airline” in the “Major Airline World” and this sort of hiring and way of doing business is a Charter outfit, new startup, penny pinching, fly by night, low cost, way of doing business and not that of a Major Airline in the World that is looking for Global Recognition as such.Yes, I do agree that you have to start somewhere and it is certainly not your fault that QR is leaning towards these measures of filling the seats.

Global nomad wrote, “Line up here to sell your profession.” Well guess what? This profession has been sold over and over again and is getting cheaper and cheaper for the employer and more expensive for the employee. Just remember that when you lower the bar on the this profession, it is very hard to get it back up. (the bar seems to be heading the wrong way faster and faster these days.)

I think that the hiring for this CADET program will be very political, DID I SAY “VERY POLITICAL” and you will be a VERY, DID I SAY “VERY” lucky guy/gal to get in just on your own merits with no “INSIDER PULL.” But please try and give it a shot. As a pilot it is your lucky day to get on this way with a major airline in the world but for those of us that are here already it does raise a question as to why Qatar Airways are going about hiring their pilots like this? Don’t get me wrong on this thread thinking I am saying to you not to take the chance and try to get on with a major airline and build your hours and run, DID I SAY “RUN!!!!” after you can stand on your own two feet and grab the aviation world by the B-LLS!!!!..

Just a quick reminder that is not tied to this post but a good thing to always keep in your heart and mind. “Caution every move in this small aviation world good or bad that you do. It will do a full circle one day and help you or hinder you later in your aviation life.” I have seen it happen to so many people in the good way as well as the bad way.

HM