PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc Down (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 05:44
Captain Gadget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorial Service?

As Push & Start says above, I am sure that a Memorial Service should, and will, be held in due course. Like that for the crew of XV193, it will need to be held in the open air, for the hangar has not been built that is large enough to hold the throng that will want to turn out to pay their respects - witness 140K+ views on this thread for starters.

I had never read Jonathan Livingston Seagull before I heard the 'They came in the evening, then...' passage at the Memorial Service for the crew of XV193. It was so apt, though; and I do not think it would be an exaggeration to say that there was not a dry eye in the place. Years later, I read that very same passage at my own father's funeral: a tribute from an aviator to the man that had done more than any other to build and encourage him in his endeavours, even though Dad was an Army man himself. And it had the same effect on the congregation there.

I trust that something along those lines will happen again now; and, as before, I would consider it a privilege to be part of it. OB?

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Gadget

Last edited by Captain Gadget; 6th Feb 2005 at 17:30.