PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polar for sale ....
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2005, 16:02
Heilhaavir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I can happyflying
I have the original article in a pdf file but do not know how to post it here, if you want it email me.
Keep in mind that this is only a translation of the author's analysis that was sent to me and could not be 100% accurate.

"Polar Air Cargo for sale: it sounds logical"

Polar Air is the cargo division of Atlas Air. Rumor is that Atlas wants to get rid of Polar Air cargo. Last year they moved from an airport in Belgium to Amsterdam, which could be a strategy to make it more attractive to potential buyers, being Amsterdam the 3rd cargo airport in Europe.

Atlas was almost bankrupt last year, and the rumor is that they have contacted several parties to offer the airline.

One of the possibilities will be Deutsche Post, since they are looking for an airline or partner that has Boeing 747; Polar has that, and Lufthansa Cargo just got rid of all of them.

The Germans (Deutshe Post) would also acquire important routes and entrances to the USA.

Other interested party would be Fedex, because they are looking to expand in air cargo. UPS is not interest and that is kind of strange.

The reasons why Atlas wants to sell Polar:

1) They can use the money (they were almost bankrupt)
2) The cargo activities of Polar are in conflict with the commercial lease activities of Atlas Air (competition in between the same company). Atlas has been warned about this bad combination by economists, so it seems logical that they want to fix this.

Whatever happens is uncertain, especially because most banks are very careful before they finance anything related to the airline industry.