PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 foot ILS minima
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2005, 04:44
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oryxs, I agree with you on all points. I generally start a deceleration at about 100-200', depending on the weather, planning to cross the threshold at or just above Vmin. You then keep the decel going at 25-50 ft until slow enough to touch down. Slowing to landing speed at the DH just scares me to death; I would never do that. I have a mile or more of runway ahead to slow down on, so I'm not worried about that. After all, fixed wing get stopped from much higher speeds. And in the dark, the landing can be tough, especially with really reduced visibility. That's why my practice is to switch controls when the runway is in sight. IMO trying to transition from instruments to visual passing through 100' is just too dangerous. I've had FOs try to kill me doing that, and I won't do it any more. I prefer letting the FO fly the approach while I keep my eyes on him, and then doing the landing myself. But if I fly the approach, I'll give him the controls for the landing if the ceiling is at or near minimums.