PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Searching for a good read...
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 20:56
Worf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice thread - I actually found a few that hadn't read or didn't have!

I would like to add
1. Maverick - Sea Harrier at War by Sharky Ward. The Falklands Air War and the Sea Harrier, written by the CO of 801 Sqn

2. Think Like a Bird, An Army Pilot Story by Alex Kimbell. Story of a Army fixed wing pilot, gave me new respect for people flying light planes - talks about Chipmunk, Auster and Beaver flying with the Omani theatre of war thrown in.

3. Flying Upside Down: True Tales of an Antarctic Pilot by Mark A. Hinebaugh. A Navy C-130 pilot. My dad was an Indian Air Force transport pilot and I thought his stories of flying Dakota's in the Himalayas coulndt be topped - but this one does it!

4. Airborne by Neil Williams. What fantastic stories by this RAF test pilot and aerobatics champion - from flying a Cassut Racer in aerobatics competition to the Spitfire to a Meteor for a warbird collector. His other classic "Aerobatics" I am slowly absorbing while preparing to do my first aerobatic competition.

5. Cessna, wings for the world: The single-engine development story by William Thompson. He wrote two more after this - but only this one impresses. Cessna was developing a new type every year for a while - and he was the test pilot responsible for more than a couple. Taught me a few things on why my Cessna-150 is the way it is, and what they tried to make Cessna-182 I fly and why the Cessna-172RG Cutlass doesnt handle like the Cessna-172 Skyhawk (it handles much sweeter which I observed first hand- because its actually a development of Cessna-175 Skylane and not the 172!)

I'll think of more later!