PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, HOW long have YOU been looking?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 19:09
CPTVOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished CPL/Multi IR June 2003 and was determined to find that elusive first job. I sent out 400 CV's, mostly to corporate operators, all over Europe and eventually got lucky. Left the UK in Aug 2003 for a small Med Island and spent 12 months being at the beck and call of a one captain organisation that had me on a 24/7 standby system. No days off, no leave, no roster, no way of knowing when the next flight was going to be etc etc. It was certainly not what I expected but at least I was flying. Or was I? Out of 360 hrs in the first 12 months, I was actually 'allowed' at the controls for 23 of those hours. After 12 months enough was enough and I left with a huge type rating debt and no guarentee of any work back in the UK.
Im 40 now, have 655TT with 350 jet, EFIS, FMS etc time and am getting as many rejections now as when I had 300 hrs.
I cant stay unemployed any longer so have decided to look for a 'Normal' job and see what comes up.
The 12 months I had in the right hand seat were great and I dream of being there again but realism has taken hold and the reality seems to be that its going to be a long and painfull process to get back there.