PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier confusion
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 13:04
Barn Doors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one am not confused about the role of the Harrier GR7! It was never designed as an AD platform, will never attempt or try to fulfil the role of an AD platform and the professionals who operate it, know it! That includes the very capable RN brethren who are doing just that, right now, in Afghanistan!

Unlike the USMC AV8 models, the UK Harrier can carry up to 4 Aim-9M missiles which are not, and never were intended to, cover a Naval Battle group's a$$e. The GR7/9 is probably the most flexible up-to-date asset in the UK air inventory and can carry the most diverse mixed load of weaponry that we have in stock! The 'boat' confers many advantages over having to operate from a land-base, and I'm sure WEBF and Navaleye would be able to aptly explain exactly why.....if they'd care to.

I'm quite fed up of reading thread after thread about no 'organic' AD capability on the HMS's, and that the GR7 'can't live up to expectation' in the role. This is bleedin' obvious.

In wartime, AD is simply an 'enabler' to allow a ground offensive to take place unhindered by enemy air assets. 'Mudders' are an extension of that ground offensive, and that is what wins battles!

Soon we'll all be flying swing-role fighter/bombers and UAVs and maybe this cynicism will end, once and for all.

Just breathe...................and smile........it's alright!