PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - freight jobs
Thread: freight jobs
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 10:22
error_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BF,

My post was also meant to be ironic more than complaint.
Nice resumee of what freight flying will be like.

Absolutely correct. Many companies fly "old" turbo-props. Fortunately for us pilots these very "old" planes start to cost the operators much money as the need to add stuff due to regulations. R-NAV etc. Many operators started looking for mid-aged aircraft for a while. My company operating aircraft from 15 years to 4 years old.

But for the future I'd definitively love to fly a jet too. That is what I once trained for before the carrier we were in broke...
Took me 2 years to get a job at all. Got it only with dumb luck, connections and a perfectly done project work.
Now - I love to fly the turbo-props!

Leo8,

Nice description of what flying freight may be like. Doing much the same. Depart at 8.00 pm fly 1.5 hours, stop for the A/C to be unloaded and reloaded, depart again at 4.30 am and be in the hotel at 06.30 am.

Got used to it. I cope with tiredness by mostly reading. Try to sleep not more than 40 to 50 minutes between 01.00 am and 02.30 am depending on how tired I am. So I get a nice sleep during the day from 08.00 am to about 14.00 pm.

Not too bad if you succeed in sleeping during the day. Flying the turbo-props sometimes means flying for smaller companies. The advantage is that some do also PAX or ad-hoc cargo. Depending on the company you may get some nice flights during day too, going special places.

Last edited by error_401; 4th Feb 2005 at 10:34.