PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does an IR improve employment prospects?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2005, 08:37
trim string

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KMS: There is such a thing as a single engine IR, just read JAR FCL or LASORS. You need a single engine IFR aproved helicopter. Ok, there is no helicopter like that in the UK, but that does not mean it does not exist. A single engine helicopter would have to be equipped with a full stabilisation system AND an autopilot, because flying hands on is considered an emergency for single pilot, single engine, normal flying is done with autopilot on, sometimes no modes selected but still activated so you can use the cheeney button to fly the helicopter. Don't get me wrong, you will have to do hands on a lot during training and most aproaches hands on flying as well. I have called all the member states of the JAA and found out that, at least a few months ago, there is only one single engine IFR aproved helicopter under the JAA. It is allowed to fly in IMC, as long as there is a 500 ft cloudbase (Engine off landing) so flies under IFR, just can not do commercial IFR transport with it. (JAR OPS)

A few moths ago, I have done my JAA IR course on that helicopter and actually have it on license, no restrictions what so ever. And I hold a JAA license, registered at the CAA.

A thing to keep in mind when you want to do the IR is that you have to have the type on license (VFR) before allowed to do the IR checkride. I did the VFR checkride in the morning, passed it, took a cup of coffee and went straight for the IR checkride.

In case you do a integrated course, you will have 135 hours TT after the CPL. Then you have a slight problem if you want to do a IR, because you need 50 hours PIC time to get the IR on license. If you want to get a twin type on license, you need 70 hours PIC time. All not a problem for modular students, I guess, but still interesting.

Could you tell me who is advertising for CPL+IR with 200hrs? In case you mean ACN, then it does not matter, Unfortunately I am not Nigerian. (which is the requirment that the ad doesn't mention)

Trim String