PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc Down (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 18:15
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has taken this long for the tears to stop and allow me to post. I had the privilege to work with Gary in the Sim for several years and also knew Gibbo well. I only knew the rest of the crew in passing from Guinness & Mince Pies and a few nights in the Gordon Biersch. I remember well the demise of XV193 and the loss that we all felt then, taxied out behind them on that fateful day. Somehow this all seems so much worse.

I am proud to count Gary & Gibbo amongst my friends, they were the epitome of an Eng and a Loadie. If anyone needed a role model, professionally or socially then they needed to look no further than this fine pair of SNCOs. Obie summed it up so well in his address I feel I can add no more. The obituaries on the Lyneham website are also written magnificently, with dignity and from the heart.

To the families of all on board, to all of EGDL, I share your grief. Be proud of them as they were proud of you.

Although this is probably being addressed as I type I would like to make a plea to the powers that be at HQSTC. I know there are certain legal requirements to be fulfilled when repatriating casualties to the UK and the precedence has been set, but please do not let this crew suffer the ignominy of being returned to UK in a C17 into BZN (No disrespect to 99 Sqn, you do a fine job) PLEASE allow 47 Sqn the honour of carrying their fallen comrades home on their final sortie into Lyneham, by the means that would have been chosen by the crew themselves ….. an Albert. I am sure that this would be appreciated and needed by all those related to the crew and by all their extended family at Lyneham.

AH Ex FE 30 & 57