PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Mil and their use of QFE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 13:56
CAP670

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....the CAA limit on the distance at which controllers can provide a radar service without holding an Area Radar rating.
DFC - not so any longer!

For at least two years now, the only restriction on the maximum range that a civil radar service can be provided using an Approach Radar ticket is radar coverage, adjacent airspace arrangements and the procedures written into the unit's MATS Part 2 ('Controllers' Order Book').

On the subject of QNH vs QFE, why would Brit mil aircrew 'want it' when US mil & Canadian mil appear to be able to function without???

Surely, if you fly an SRA you're given the threshold elevation and advisory altitudes i.e. QNH-based check altitudes, if you fly an ILS you simply follow the glidepath and the approach plate will give you check heights (altitudes) at the FAF and in tabulated form against ranges from touchdown, and if you fly a PAR you just do what the nice talkdown controller tells you to do over the earphones.

As for publishing a CTR with an upper limit defined as an altitude of 3500' when the TA is 3000', or an AIAA with an upper limit of altitude 5000', (note: altitude and so based on QNH) this really is a load of complete and utter bos; next time I'm near the Brize CTR I'll ask Zone for the QNE...