PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life in BA as a new, low-houred FO.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2005, 09:50
maxy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is possible to generalize in BA, I would say that life is pretty dire for a low houred shorthaul FO in BA. (And in Ryanair, EasyJet, etc, no doubt) However, to most pilots, there is life at the end of the tunnel in the form of the 744 (to those that wish to go ULH).
The old days of a cushy 737, airbus, or 757/767 command have gone tho'. Those pilots work hard and earn their salaries. Probably very similar to the guys in the lo-co's or BY. Maybe life is better in BA than outside. All I can say is broaden your horizons and look elsewhere if you are looking for a well paid professional career that pays a professional salary and perks. Forget having any input to how the company is run, or trying to make a difference. It makes absolutely no difference if you have the Chief Pilot (sorry General Manager FC) operating the flight or a monkey. It all happens regardless. BA is a great place for the less capable operator, as you can sit and just take the money, regardless. However, BA try and recruit capable people who do want to make a difference. What happens is FC get very frustrated at the incompetence and mess unfolding around them, but are specifically not given the tools or authority to change anything.
I would suggest a cushy number working for another FTSE100 company would gain you more respect, money and a better home life. If you have a burning passion to fly, then find somewhere else.