PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating diary
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2005, 20:19
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540,

Yep, I agree. As I have hinted earlier in the thread, my expectation is that I will be devoting quite some time to ensuring my IMC skills are maintained. If anything a couple of minor enforced absences have pointed out to me quite clearly how quickly the skills go rusty.

In reality, I feel that 12 hours to remain legal for VFR flying is far below that required to stay "current". Far more is needed to keep your VFR skills fresh, and even more is needed for an IMCR to be of actual use rather than just a nice signature on a piece of paper.

I have no intention of flying to the edge of my, or the aircraft's limits, but I do feel that well maintained, the IMCR is a useful tool and if current is a "get out of jail card". But again, it is not and never will be an IR. Likewise, the full priviledges conferred by an IMCR are really stretching it to get it into 15 hours. We have concentrated on what I intend to use my IMCR for, and so have looked at approaches to varied airfields with significant GA bases. My background includes some military aviation and many of the doctrines have stayed with me ever since. Complacency is not something I aspire to, safety is. It is in this spirit that I wish to develop my flying, and no I'm not after the RHS of a 737

Regards
Obs cop