PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash Scotland: Pilot prosecuted. VERDICT
Old 2nd Feb 2005, 17:13
roundwego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd Day of Trial - Extract from BBC website

Headline - Crash pilot did 'remarkable job'

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed after taking the Scottish Liberal Democrat leader on a campaign trip did "a remarkable job", a court has heard.
Captain Alistair Gwilt, an independent helicopter expert, said Iain Grindlay deserved a "pat on the back" for his handling of a crash landing.
Mr Gwilt was giving evidence for the defence at the trial of Mr Grindlay.

Mr Grindlay is charged with endangering the safety of the helicopter and its passengers, which he denies. He also denies endangering people and property in the valley near the village of Pathhead.
The accident happened on 30 April, 2003, the day before polling in the Scottish Parliament election. The aircraft was being used by the Liberal Democrats during the Scottish parliamentary election campaign at the time.
Mr Grindlay had flown the Scottish party leader Jim Wallace and his wife to a number of pre-election photo-shoots during the day.

Mr Gwilt, 47, told the jury at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Wednesday he that rated Mr Grindlay's flying ability highly.
He said: "Iain had always impressed upon me his skill at flying. He is very diligent in what he does, professional and courteous".

Commenting on an allegation that the pilot flew the helicopter at 20ft above the sea to replicate the opening sequence of the 1980s TV programme 'Magnum', Mr Gwilt said there had been no danger to the passengers, even at that height.

In earlier evidence, Mr Grindlay had told the court he had decided to make a precautionary landing in the field because he could not see his landing site at Oxenfoord because of low cloud and showers.
On his approach to the site, his tail rotor caught the earth wire on the pylons. He claimed he had only seen the wires at the last minute.

Mr Gwilt said he had flown the route taken by Mr Grindlay after the accident, but said he had not told him about the power line.
He said: "It was only about half a mile from landing site that I saw the pylons and the wires themselves and that was on a clear day". The wires, he added, "blended" into the background.

"It was a last-minute awareness problem for Captain Grindlay," he said.
"Yes, he came into contact, but he did his best to avoid them.
"It is just, in my eyes, an accident like bumping your car in a supermarket car park. It is just unfortunate it happened".

Asked by John Campbell, QC, for the defence, how he regarded Mr Grindlay's actions, Mr Gwilt said: "Admirably. A pat on the back. It appears to be a crash, but it was a heavy landing."
"He has carried out a remarkable job as I would expect."

The trial was adjourned until Thursday.

Al is a former AAC display pilot, current TA pilot, Instructor, Examiner and ........ contributor to Rotorheads.

Heliport