PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internet Connection Not Recognised
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2005, 17:05
small_dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Internet Connection Not Recognised

Hi,

I'm running Windows Me on a Compaq Presario laptop PIII, 128Mb RAM. A bit of background info first...

Two days a go, I downloaded a series of security updates for Internet Explorer (about 15mb in all, which was a bit tedious over a dial up connection).

These were installed onto my computer yesterday. My Anti Virus software (AVG) subsequently picked up 3 trojan horses which it then deleted (not sure if it was connected to the downloading of the security patches, but I suspect it was and the irony isn't lost on me).

Now, whenever I connect to the internet, none of my programs recognise that I have an internet connection despite there being an actual internet connection present (the relevant icon pops up on my system tray as usual). I've tried mozilla, internet explorer and the "check for updates" on my AVG software but they all say "no internet connection found" (or words to that effect).

I've tried reinstalling my modem but that hasnt worked.

Unfortunately, my system restore options are only limited to the last two days, so that doesn't help (unless someone knows a way of being able to access further back than January 2005 on the system restore calendar)

I've tried uninstalling the most recent version of internet explorer on my system, but that has had no effect and I've tried removing the windows updates that I installed two days ago, but the option is "greyed out" and I can't do it.

I've run a full system scan for viruses using AVG and nothing has come up since the three trojan horse diallers. I've also run spywareblaster and deleted the DSO exploit entry that has come up (but that hasnt sorted the problem).

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my some what limited knowledge already!

Cheers

Small Dog