PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2005, 16:12
sumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExEngo - Right then this is the way I think it is supposed to work (loosely):

It starts with the tasking coming from the likes of ascot etc to a group of strategic planers up in Eng Ops who set up a program forecasting the next 3 months (with the coming week being resolute).
Next it goes to the Line planers and docs they allocate tail numbers to tasking numbers and then go through the books and sort out a “to-do list”.
Next there are a number of line teams comprising of a Sgt and 4 bods of differing trades who will go through this to-do list and finish off by AF/Bf’ing it to make it serviceable. Each team is to have its own mobile servicing wagon housing tools, POL, gasses and some spares – i.e. they are to some degree self sufficient.

Still with me?

If there is a problem that needs same trade supervision or independents then this person has to be taken out of the other team – thus hampering or stopping this other team from completing their aircraft tech ready state.
If the job is too large (in terms of time) then it is to be passes onto what is essentially a huge Heavy Rects team who do have trade desks. If these cannot help then they go to the minor teams (who have moved back to their old hangars).
The teams are not allowed to be proactive i.e. they have to wait until they are tasked. – The Rects team cannot move unless asked by the line – and to that end aircraft are not supposed to be worked unless tasked.

So if we lose as has been said before 2nd line (to a contract with MA) then there goes part of the manpower pool. The next thing that will go will be the redundancies an even greater depreciation – in all about 150(ish)

There has been no consultation from the Exec Engineers with the SNCOs i.e. the ones who get posted away every 2 or 3 years will leave the others, who don’t, to fathom it out. This whole process has been enforced with out much communication or training, giving some of the most the professional engineers the attitude of “I don’t give a ” – and if I was a member of rompers green I would start to get a bit worried!

what do you think now?