PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 will drive up everyone's insurance
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2005, 15:21
lead zeppelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swh;

If you read my last paragraph, I mention basic supply and demand and was trying to clarify my interpretation of what 747focal was saying.

Insurance rates are affected my numerous factors, capacity being one of them and losses another.

But, the major factor is the investments the insurer makes with premiums before paying losses. If the investment returns are good, then rates go down as insurers look for more premium income to invest. If investment returns are poor, rates go up in order to maintain adequate reserves for losses.

The question then becomes.......Would rates be higher, all other things being equal?

My guess is no, quite honestly, unless the aircraft presents a greater risk than existing airliners.

My reply to your post was more of a response to what appeared to be an attack on Boeing.

You said, among other things "And I cannot see a manufacturer letting Boeing get away with such a scare campain given its history........sounds like another Boeing Plant ploy to take attention away from airbus for its own products which are not doing too well."

The article 747focal refers to was based on comments by an "expert", the president of Aon Aviation Group, an insurance broker; Boeing had nothing to do with the article.