PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2005, 14:02
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As ecnalubma says, it was long ago when I had 500 hours.
Not sure what they may do now, but if it's like any other industry, things are probably similar?
We'd take pipeline crews out to various stations, they'd do what pipeline guys do, fiddle with valves, let sour (poison) gas vent and try and kill you.
We'd take surveyors out and move them around all day
( read...sit at -30 C and fly a 0.2 ever 2 hours).
We'd do crew changes to the big drill rigs, ( read....drunken 20 year old rig-pigs, with 0 brains, and several fingers missing).

Generally, we'd do anything that they would normally use a truck for, but the roads were impassible or non-existant.
Generally easy flying, and always good landing sites, as a standard oil or gas well lease site was about 200' x 200', smooth and flat.
The navigation was difficult, but I was there before GPS, so we did the compass and watch thing...fly 263 degrees for an hour, check the odd geographic landmark whenever possible ( a lake, a creek bend?) and viola, a rig would generally appear in the windscreen out of the 2 miles in light snow. If it didn't, you better decide quickly if it may be L or R, still ahead, or behind you !

Today, just punch in the coordinates, and you're there......until the GPS fails (??)

Summers in the BC - AB north were great, lots of tree planting and forest fires. Planting consisted of flying 20- 30 planters in, then sling boxes of trees all day, hundreds of hours of work every year. Most roads were winter only, so they'd log all winter, and use helcicopters to do all of the silviculture work in the summers. It may mean landing in weedy swampy overgrown spots, but after a bit of practice and experience, you'd be blown away where a 206 on high gear can land. You'd always hope for 2 things...a french-canadian group of female treeplanters and a hot day. They'd give you quite a show, as they stripped down to stay cool !
(hey, I was 20 back then !)