PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA reply to PPRuNe email re TVL.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2005, 12:59
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pual Phelan post second bit of Part 1

Continuation of above Paul Phelan comment
Woomera had to split the post as the original was beyond the programme limits of 12,500 characters with spaces.

Below is a continuation of Paul Phelans post above;

PPRuNe comment

Where appropriate, I’m also responding below to some comment on this forum. The comment will be in italics, and my response is be in normal typeface. (Let’s see how that formatting translates from MS Word onto the site!)

A very considerable amount of damage has been done to a huge number of businesses and individuals, which clearly should be redressed, despite the comment:

There is at least one other explanation which makes perfect sense……..and that’s that the allegations are unsupported by the facts. We may just be seeing another lap of the tired old aviation merry go round, during which a new CEO and AM in CASA will have their intelligence and integrity insulted when they beg to differ from the same tired old accusers. We can certainly add Mr Skehill to the list of eminent and powerful people insulted this time ‘round. There’s no trend here. It’s the same people bearing the same grudges, year in, year out. They’ll go to the grave bearing those grudges.

This is called “denial,” a science almost perfected by CASA’s past public affairs structure and exemplified by the publication of two “letters to the editor” which made vague accusations that the articles were “full of errors” but did not deal specifically with any issue raised.

The “Eminence and power” of any professional person will always remain a subjective assessment by individuals.
As to internal investigations, it is clearly inappropriate for an agency whose employee has been accused of misconduct, to appoint its own “independent investigator.” This practice certainly raises conflict of interest questions, especially in the case of an external consultant engaged through the Authority’s Office of Legal Counsel.

CASA Public Affairs may be putting itself in the unenviable position of getting involved in a dialogue of a highly technical nature, but being briefed only by people who have clearly dug in to hold their positions under siege. I drew from material provided by people whose background in technical and regulatory issues I and the industry can only respect.

Anybody in CASA Public Affairs wishing to qualify themselves to comment on complex technical issues, should look for advice from people who are committed to Mr Byron\\\'s reforms - or look outside CASA – rather than asking for comment by the person/people who created the problem in the first place.
Denying that there is a problem, as CASA appears on many occasions to have done in public over many years, has been the prime obstacle to meaningful reform since the early nineties, and I\\\'m surprised that people in CASA and in government continue down that path. Any intelligent analysis of the fiasco surrounding the development of the “maintenance suite” of regulations would support that conclusion.

If I didn’t have anything important to do, I’d start with exposing the mates of Torres and Walking Eagle in CASA, who, rather than doing what the taxpayers are paying them to do, leak half truths and selective information, in breach of various criminal laws.

One is surprised that this commentator actually claims to have “something more important to do” and wonders what it may be, other than possibly the pursuit of gainful employment.

“Walking Eagle” was my PPRuNe tag about 10 years ago, before I realised the advantages of not concealing my identity. I have never said that anybody “leaked” information to me. I have however had my attention usefully directed at times to specific issues and available documentation (Hansard, newspaper articles, CASA website etc,) by individuals who were ashamed of the conduct of some of their colleagues’ - and still are.

As for the website, another dream, sorry

Watch this space.

Two wrongs don\\\'t make a right and neither is justice served by a self serving journalistic beating up without the other side being appropriately represented

I would be deeply interested to be able to understand the above tirade. Unless they’re unusually stupid, politicians don’t argue both sides of an issue in the Parliament. Lawyers similarly don’t argue both sides of a case. And journalists – at least in the editorial mode – try to avoid arguing with themselves, especially when so many other people are happy to do it for them!

As for the “self serving” epithet, do I perhaps have a Swiss bank account somewhere that I don’t know about? Can anybody tell me when I last earned a single dollar in the pursuit of “Safe Skies, Procedural Fairness, Due Process and Social Justice For All”?

The proposed industry website that will publish documented instances of misconduct should answer most of your concerns. As it will also publish details of the miscreants it will assist BB, CASA and the industry. It will therefore be of be of great benefit in achieving the reforms desired by the Minister, by Bruce Byron and the industry.

Thank you, but it may not be as easy as that for the reasons explained above.

I am therefore in the process of establishing a web site which will record recent and current CASA regulatory failures, misadventures and apparent misconduct. This may provide guidance as to possible directions of reform, especially regarding the activities of individuals who appear to have been prominent in the organisation\\\'s failure to meet its commitments and goals. It will publish only documented facts, including naming the writers of documents, and separately where appropriate, opinions which will be identified as such and not represented as facts. All published facts will be cross-referenced to supporting documents. CASA will be offered space in which to respond to each topic when it is published. I will not circulate the web address yet because it is still under construction; however about 2,500 addressees will be made aware of it by e-mail, and with the permission of the moderator, participants in this forum.
There are encouraging signs that a turnaround is in process. I intend however to proceed as if nothing was happening regardless of CASA actions or reactions, some of which may or may not be interpreted as responses to material I have published.

Anyone who has anything to contribute, and which is supported by available and verifiable documentation, is welcome to contact [email protected]. I cannot digest or re-publish insinuation, rumour, or anything that may be defamatory. I also don’t plan to enter into debate on the above in public, but will respond to any e-mail which is constructive. All sources are guaranteed protection of their identity.

Separately, CASA is invited to brief me on any or all of these issues on a formal and non-confidential basis, but with the reservation that without their consent, I may not be able to disclose the identities of individual complainants.
Quotable quotes:

The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones (Mark Antony, in Julius Caesar)

Signed – a “tired old accuser” – nursing new hope.

Edited by Woomera to correct formatting, the / goes before the format command in the closing bracket.
and I had to split the post because it was larger than the software programme permits. = 12,500 character with spaces.

Last edited by Woomera; 1st Feb 2005 at 13:10.