PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed apch: missed the moral of the story?
Old 18th Dec 2001, 01:10
Brookmans Park

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ini answer to MEL able with regard to missed approach radio aid selection

The capability to select Go-Around radio aids which do not form part of the final approach procedure varies greatly from one a/c to another.

In the best case when DME hold or preselect
facilities are available then for example the SSJ freqency can be preselected.

However there are still numerous a/c where
go around VOR//DME frqs can not be selected until one no longer needs the final approach radio aids selected.

Therefore any MAP should be based on the same aids as the approach.

At the moment I get around this problem at
several several so called airports which require comlex reselections by making use of
the GPS, having previously cross checked it against the ground based aids before tarting the approach.

I operate medium jets on sched services
into european airfields where in some cases
the ILS still uses a non paired DME, which we can not select separately From the ILS and the missed approach uses that same DME and then a turn to a nearby VOR .

The company SOP requires both pilots to select the ILS and the auto pilot requires signals from the No.1 system to capture the ILS. Consequently a Go Around requires the reselection of both VHF nav radios after setting G/A thrust raising flaps and gear and
then a 90 degree turn at 3 miles on the new DME frq. It might work in c172 but not in a jet. I always brief that we will make use of our hi tech GPS, having crosschecked it before the approach