PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed apch: missed the moral of the story?
Old 17th Dec 2001, 22:34
NextLeftAndCallGround

A couple of thoughts to mention.

First MEL-able, although I understand the point of your post, I presume we're talking about a PT aeroplane - do you really fly an approach without having the aids that you'll need for a go-around set up and identified?

Generally the missed approach procedures are designed to get the aircraft somewhere safe and, if possible, out of the way of all the other routes in the area.

It may not be as important today but missed approaches used to be designed so that an aircraft with a radio failure is put into a position where another approach can be flown. So straight ahead (until when???) is not a very prudent procedure. Amsterdam (and Heathrow in days gone by it would seem) rely on very quick action from ATC - much as I think that ATC people are good and will do their best, do you really want to rely on ATC who may have something else occupying their minds sort you out?? (By the way - just because the controller isn't talking, it doesn't mean that they're not busy).

If you want standrdisation you can have 15 mile final approaches with 160kts to 3 miles always roll to the end (regardless of the taxi to the stand). But I'd guess you'd prefer a bit of flexibility - and you can do much better because you're a professional!

And another guess - you've not been on a visit to ATC for years. And if you have you didn't ask your question. Because if you had I can't believe that the people there didn't show you all the reasons and point out that they've got more than one aeroplane to worry about.