PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 19:49
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch it is RB , give me a call when you're heading out this way....

Haggis, Big trees = big problems,

I'd bet that you'd have no problems in descending your aircraft into any regular confined area...now imagine that same confined area when the trees are 200+ feet tall. The problems increase. The bottom is dark, what looked like a bit of brush on the forest floor during your initial recce turns into good sized re-gen, and that smooth flat forest floor now is too steep to land on.....

Try delivering a net load of gear to someone down there on a 200'+ line, don't be dragging their valuble load through the branches as you thread the line down, and try and estimate height as you peer down at then in the darkness below the forest canopy.
...got the load to them OK??, now you have to get back to camp with that same 200'+ line dangling around behind you ...in coastal crap Wx and fog layers.

My hat is off to any of the coastal boys, I have it easy in the rockpile. Our trees only get to 140 ft tall max, and there isn't any trees at all in the way when we operate over 7200 ft ASL.

RB may be cutting straight to the point without any sugar-coating, but he is completely correct !

Last edited by 407 Driver; 31st Jan 2005 at 21:53.