PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc Down (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 17:07
The Real Ed.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been reading this stuff all day wondering what to say. What is there to say other than I respect all you guys that died and offer my most heartfelt condolences to all their friends and family (including the great big, loose military family which comes together so well at times like these).

I’ve also been troubled by the feeling of complete impotence one feels on these occasions; wanting to do something positive, wishing one could put it all right or at least be able to wipe away all the tears etc.. Then I read the little exchange between the apologetic Christian and the unapologetic Christian above. Well, I’m a devout Agnostic and really appreciated the apology, even though neither point of view offends me. What I do on these occasions is light a candle in memory of the dead.

This is a gesture shared by nearly all religions but the non-religious may be interested to hear it goes a long way further back than that. The Celts used to erect what was known as a Ghost Fence or Spirit Wall which was simply a circle of individual flames, each representing the spirit of a deceased loved one – a parent, sibling or great warrior perhaps. They all stood inside the circle and made a simple, dignified act of remembrance. Nothing spooky, mystical or magic about it. It seems quite likely to me, looking at all the various stone and wood circles from ancient times, that this tradition is even older than the Celts.

It also seems to me that the men who died yesterday were parents, siblings, friends and great warriors to boot. So why not send them off in the ancient way, offending nobody, including everybody, with a dignified, humane gesture that they would be proud of themselves. I'm sure a candle in a jam jar will do...

Knowing the Celts, I suspect this bit was followed by the imbibing of copious amounts of ‘weapons-grade’ alcoholic beverages; I suggest you do them proud and do the same! I know I'm going to...

Sorry to blather on… Right I’m off to find the candles and the Malt!

RIP, boys…

TRE