PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash Scotland: Pilot prosecuted. VERDICT
Old 31st Jan 2005, 16:36
roundwego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot prosecution

Extract from BBC website;-

A pilot has gone on trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court charged with causing a helicopter accident in Midlothian nearly two years ago.
Iain Grindlay, 49, is accused of acting negligently or recklessly in April 2003.

The helicopter was being used by the Liberal Democrats during the Scottish parliamentary election campaign at the time of the alleged incident.

Mr Grindlay, from Midlothian, pleaded not guilty.

The court heard that party leader Jim Wallace and his wife were on board as the helicopter flew to various locations on the campaign trail.

Lib Dem press officer David Webster told the court that at one stage of the flight, the aircraft was skimming over the sea when the pilot told him they were flying at 20 feet.

At that point, he and the Wallaces were enjoying the experience.

After Mr and Mrs Wallace were dropped off, he said, he began the return trip with the pilot and steward, Roderick Grindlay.

After passing Edinburgh, Mr Webster said the pilot pointed out the disused Waverley railway line and added that he knew it was Liberal Democrat policy to have it re-opened.

Horizontal

"He said he would take me down to show me the amount of work that would need to be done," said Mr Webster.

The helicopter went down and began going from left to right, he said, and then he was almost horizontal to the ground and the hills were above the aircraft.

But, he added, the gentle turns "evolved into dramatic and frequent turns'' and the helicopter began to sway violently.

It was obvious we were going to crash

Witness David Webster

"I heard the pilot say 'Oh, No' and I think there was terror in his voice," said Mr Webster.

Mr Webster said he heard Roderick Grindlay say: "Iain, stop it. Get us down."

"It was at that point I realised we were in trouble," said Mr Webster.

''It was obvious we were going to crash."

The helicopter hit the ground with an enormous shudder, said Mr Webster.

He managed to get out, but the pilot was having difficulty.

Pilot bleeding

He and Roderick went back and pulled Mr Grindlay from the aircraft, but the pilot was bleeding from the head and kept collapsing every two or three steps.

While waiting for the emergency services, he said, Mr Grindlay said: "Sorry.

"If you tell them I was p***ing about, I will lose my licence and insurance."

He said Mr Grindlay told him he would say he was trying to avoid a hailstorm but when Mr Webster was asked in court if there had been one, he said 'no.'

The trial continues.