PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 foot ILS minima
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 12:28
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I recall approved BAH crews at Aberdeen in the 80's could fly to the Cat 2 lower minima provided the aircraft was fully coupled and both pilots were in date and so endorsed on their licenses and the ILS in question was approved for this. This 20 years ago...

I believe the landing minima were 100'/400m RVR and the take off minima were 50' cloudbase and 100m RVR with a useable single engine diversion within 45 mins.

These minima applied to the Chinook where Cat 2 approaches could be practised on the sim (on site in those days). I'm not sure what the other companies were allowed; it was commonplace to us then, so it must surely still be so all over the foggy North Sea with today's much more capable aircraft.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but there was nothing difficult about it provided that PF and PNF understood their functions clearly - especially at the bottom! This is where modern CRM and Human Factors have so improved our understanding of two crew operations, especially when regularly practised in a sim.