PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 11:13
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nigerian Expat.

I agree it is all about choice. I chose to be offshore for my own specific reasons. I was trying to describe that the Bond deal with only 2 weeks leave is a very poor deal compared to the industry standard of 42 days leave

The time off is not the main reason most of us work offshore. We have had 2 pilots leave recently because the demands of family life outweighed the benefits of working offshore.

I admit I have only worked N Sea (Puma/Dauphin) in my civil life but have worked many odd rosters in my RAF days in N Ireland and the Falklands. If I lived near Aberdeen I would not work offshore - it seems idyllic having 13 days off a month but you do pay for them and they soon get used up as you complete all those tasks which you would have done after a normal flying day onshore. Remember an onshore based Puma pilot will get 9-10 days off a month!

TeeS

Unless you are very very old I must know you as we have worked the same platforms and the same rosters with Bond. You must have been unlucky to have been bounced around the Southern bases as most of us had a reasonable stable roster based on Frigg/Tharos/Iolair 40s - ah the joys of single pilot must have a nostalgia break.

OK back to earth now.

I agree It is all about choice. All I can say is that if the Bond roster of Rig/Scatsta/Abn with 2 weeks leave a year is true then it may suit some people and they have to make their own choices.

HF