PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius - all you need to know about MK (threads merged)
Old 31st Jan 2005, 11:12
The Saviour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Byjingo, as i had the same opportunity to fly with some of these guys before flying jets. The attitude doesnt really change when they get on jets either. It's all about the money and the social status on the island and what car they are seen in. As we say "Big fish, small pond".
I recall a check flight where the F/O did a rather hard landing, in fact a bounce. The WX was light winds(about 3 kts) and CAVOK. He had been on type for about 1 year, so he has flown this aircraft in worst conditions. Basically he flared too late, which can happen to the best of us. However his arguement was it was severe windshear. The thing that sticks to my mind is his comment "It's not my fault". This is just one isolated case, just admit you did a hard landing, learn from it and move on.
Having said that, there were some very good pilots who do not fit that stereotype we just mentioned, however as Byjingo said, it's not many. It would not be so evident if the numbers were the other way around.