PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc Down (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 11:07
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,701 Likes on 780 Posts
The Secretary of State for Defence, the Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP, said on 31 January:

"It is with great regret that I can confirm that nine Royal Air Force personnel and one soldier are missing believed killed in yesterday's crash of an RAF C-130 Hercules in Iraq. On behalf of the Ministry of Defence and all the Armed Forces, I should like to extend my deepest sympathies to the families of these servicemen.

"The aircraft was on a flight between Baghdad International Airport and Balad airbase when it crashed. UK and US forces have secured the crash site, and are now recovering the bodies, and attempting to ascertain the cause of the crash. We are aware of reports that the aircraft may have been shot down, but we are not in a position to come to any conclusions until the investigation is complete.

"The deaths of these Servicemen are especially poignant on a day when Iraqis were able to enjoy the freedom of democratic elections for the first time in many years.

"I can only echo the sentiment of the Prime Minister in recognising the sacrifice of these Servicemen."