PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet ups the frills!
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2005, 09:30
Shamrogue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stab em while their down!

Neidin,

Your comments are interesting however, I feel a tad general. I will pick Waterford as an example and comment from there.

2 Years ago, Waterford Airport was a basket case............going bankrupt etc etc.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of needing to visit Waterford Airport briefly. Aer Arann's ATR 72 was departing with I believe some 60 odd pax for the run to Luton, a load factor of 80% or more ( IN JANUARY). The circuit was full of training aircraft and some visitors. IN addition, the Sikorsky was in operation, there were a number of biz jets and other heli's parked on the ramp. Basically the place was a hive of activity.
Now, your looking 6 months down the road and the clattering Re are going to get from Easy. I don't think so. If I jump into my car and drive from Waterford to Cork, it will swallow perhaps 20 Euro of juice each way. I then have to park, possibly have a sambo and before you know it I've spent 70-80 euro for a visit to London in addition to my airfare.
Now, if I choose to fly from Waterford, I can travel to the airport on the new road, arrive not 10 yards from the door and maybe 50 yards from the a/c. Fares.........mmmmmm might be 50-100 euro more than easy but in reality I'm possibly saving money or at most handing out 20 quid extra.

I believe the above has evolved through a number of factors,

1. A new chairman and board with vision.
2. A strong, youthful management team with old heads on young shoulders.
3. A city working together, with the aid of "Da Department", new road, upgraded facilities etc.
4. An airline who simply need to operate ontime, no one expects Godron ramsey or Delia Smith on board a regional flight these days.

Now, by the sounds of it, Cork has something similar to offer. Now Galway, Galweigans will look after their own, the city is growing like wildfire, so what you loose form the South of the County will be more than made up from the city limits. Have a look at the census and you'll see what I mean.

Knock....................that foggy, boggy little place ontop of the hill. Indeed, something legends are made of. It continues to offer the Miracle in more ways than one.

In a nutshell, Arann won't get it easy, but in this industry of back stabbing, and kniving the bold and the brave will win and I don't think Pauraic lacks the "lee a rody" as Dr. Bill would say.

Chow for now.

Shamrogue.

PS. I'm not a native of Waterford village nor it's county, nor indeed do I live there, nor have I amy connection with Waterford Airport...............enough "norring for now".