PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Presidential Helicopter Bid (and Result)
Old 30th Jan 2005, 15:55
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this excerpt from the Washington Post a year and a half ago:
"People familiar with the Marine One competition say that until recently, it would have been unthinkable that a foreign-designed helicopter would be a permanent part of the fleet that carries an American president.
................... But that tradition is coming into question because of British Prime Minister Tony Blair's staunch support of the president's Iraq agenda in the face of international opposition.
Mr. Blair already has intervened on behalf of AgustaWestland, sending a letter to Mr. Bush in January that began with a hand-written "Dear George," and ended with "I hope you will look favourably on this proven 'off the shelf' product."
and added:
"A European helicopter on the White House lawn?
Watch this space."

I'm not claiming I forecast who'd win, but it did occur to me that politicians don't leak letters of that sort except by prior agreement - and unless they are either certain or at least very confident they'll be seen to be successful.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I'm not expressing any view on whether I think the best helicopter was chosen, but I did and do wonder if Sikorsky was on a loser this time whatever they offered.