PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Intl. vacancies - got any info?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2001, 03:38
NextLeftAndCallGround

Well they have got a nice new tower - I think it's in use now. It's got limited airspace around it and lots of distance through the FIR to get to or from an airway. The military play all around it as well as a lot of GA. It gets lots of overflying traffic because its stuck in between several other airports (Cardiff, Lyneham, Filton, Yeovilton) and has to get its traffic up and down through it. Not a place for the faint hearted on radar probably. Work H24. The people there always seem very friendly.

I think its trying to go Cat 3 at the moment - probably a good idea because its on top of a hill and sometimes sits in the clouds. Deals with an odd mix of aircraft - lots of 737s and 757s on IT charters, little Brymon (as they were) things and a bit of business traffic. New terminal a couple of years ago - makes it look like a real airport complete with all the delays.

Was owned by FirstBus but I think it got sold a few months back. It seems to have more managers than you can shake a stick at if you look at the annual report and stuff.

The area is fun. Good city life if you like that sort of thing and the city centre is only about 12 miles from the airport - easy journey if you're not doing it during the rush hour. Plenty of small towns and villages down in Somerset if you prefer that sort of thing. Taunton is only about 40 minutes drive. There's always Weston-super-Mare if you really can't think of anywhere else to go.

And ATC do a great cup of coffee.

Good luck if you need to know any of this stuff.