PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody know details on this Taiwan contract?
Old 30th Jan 2005, 14:11
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The contract is definitely for EVA. They had an advertisement in the back of Flight International a few weeks ago. I believe it was an 18 month contract as they wind down the fleet type. A few Piedmont and USAir guys went to EVA when they started circa early 90s, maybe your dad can locate them and ask them specifics on their experience while working there. Some were still there in the late 90s.

EVA has its' good and bad. It depends a lot on the fleet type you fly. The 747 guys tend to have a better schedule and not get messed around too much while the MD-11 guys tend to have a more difficult time with scheduling. This is all anecdotal info from my friends and colleagues. It is also a much better place if you are the Captain versus a Cruise Captain or IRO. In 1996/7 five of my colleagues went to EVA as Cruise Captains. All five were either fired or they quit within 2 years. Two colleagues at my present airline flew the 747-400 at EVA. They completed their 4 year contract and looked to move here because they didn't see an upgrade in any reasonable time frame.

Personally, I like Taiwan. I worked there from 1995 to 1998 for a domestic carrier. Living in Taipei is okay. It is big city life and if you are not used to that you will have some adjusting to do. The nice things are that it is very convenient to walk around ( just watch out for the dog poop on the sidewalk ). Everything I needed was within walking distance of my apartment. When I got sick of the concrete jungle I could easily go to the outskirts of the city and hike in the hills. The east coast is spectacular and the mountains are well worth a visit.

I would go back for the right job ( 777 Captain paying $14,000 per month would be nice ) That probably isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I can always hope.

There are a variety of threads on EVA and Taiwan in the Far East forum. You can also check out some websites on living in Taiwan. Just do some searches for that and or teaching English in Taiwan and you'll find some good sites.

TP

Last edited by typhoonpilot; 30th Jan 2005 at 16:44.