PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nine in 10 RAF staff say service is overstretched
Old 30th Jan 2005, 13:27
Cambridge Crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globalization and the use of Force

You may knock my sentiments, but I challenge you to read the wealth (hint of self-parody) of literature on the pernicious effects of Globalization and the use of force. As an example of US thinking in re the use of naval might, the following is a quote from the US DOD "Globalization and Maritme Power" publication of 2002:

'Likely changes in the various facets of globalization should strengthen the economic impacts of naval forward presence and crisis response. In turn, the stability provided by naval forward presence should assure deepening of the globalization process.’

The volume concludes with Freedman's assertion that Globailization, coupled with the use of force, is a Capitalist adventure.

If you want to read a sorry history that has been largely airbrushed out of the British consciousness, I suggest you read Mike Davis "Late Vistorian Holocausts". It will challenge most right wing orthodoxy about the role of Imperial policies and Capitalist exploitation.

I concede that I have strayed from the thread, and my heart goes out to the families of those who serve, who 'just have to get on with it' when the primary wage earner is away on spurious foreign adventures, especially in light of the news of the loss of a C-130. Requim in Pace

cc

Last edited by Cambridge Crash; 30th Jan 2005 at 15:46.