PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spatial Disorientation
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:50
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab

First point is that I didn't simply say use a 500ft minimum height. I said: "we have the 500ft rule if relevant and common sense judgement", so refer to two things, (a) the law and (b) sensible judgement. That might mean 800ft; it might be 300ft, as you know.

I generally agree with your points and whilst I can understand that you feel my advice is too simple, I was trying to reduce the endless detail of advice we could all write, much of it generalised, to the one key thing that could save someone's life if disaster approaches, and that is, whatever you do, keep sight of the ground. Now I agree entirely that it would be much safer if people turned around when the conditions deteriorated below, say, 1000ft base and 5k vis. So of course in theory everyone should decide the appropriate limits, check the weather and not go if not confident they can be maintained.

Except of course, in the real world, advice limited to this will not prevent all accidents. Pilots will sometimes push on if conditions deteriorate, so what advice are we going to give now? Pilots flying VFR are (thankfully) not controlled by ATC so individual judgement will always be crucial. It will always be a grey area and hence the importance of the critical advice in the ultimate situation. I have never said specifically how low you should go, or how slow; I have just said that following that advice to whatever limits are sensible considering pilot experience, law, terrain, etc, can pretty much guarantee you can continue to see the ground and avoid going IMC.

Gomer

You presume I have not got much experience. Depends on how you define that I guess, but I have around 5000 hrs. Not as much as many I admit, but enough to have a valid view.

My position stands, but if consensus really is that inadvertent IMC entry is a hazard that cannot be avoided our various authorities better start the process of implementing minimum training standards and aircraft minimum equipment levels to enable pilots and their passengers to survive such encounters.

So what does anyone thing these standards should be then?