PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FCA Slide blow in BRS
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2005, 16:36
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what is reported to have happened in this case, my comment isn't directly on point, but I think it bears mentioning none the less.

The A320 family main cabin doors have a minor design flaw, in that the ergonomics of the slide arming and door opening handles are the same (i.e. vertical) motions. As a result, A320 family operators experience a higher than normal rate of unintentional door slide deployments by cabin crew. Most other airliner doors have been designed so that the action of arming and disarming a door is ergonomically unique to the motion of opening and closing the door.

In know that many airlines (particularly in the UK) require that the cabin crew arm the cabin doors while refuelling with pax on board? Is this still a CAA requirement? If so, I must question the logic of this requirement. The vast majority of accidental slide deployments occur in this configuration. Ground crew working below these doors are exposed to an unnecessary risk, IMHO. Also, the cost both in dollars and in delays far outweighs the improvement in safety gained by arming doors. The number of evacuations carried out in the industry during refuelling can be counted on a small part of one hand, and I've yet to read of one where the slides were even employed. It's much smarter to set a procedure that requires a member of the crew to remain in close proximity to the doors while refuelling is in progress (i.e. less than 10 feet away). It takes very little time to arm a door if required. It takes a whole lot longer to remove and replace an accidentally deployed slide.