PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Presidential Helicopter Bid (and Result)
Old 29th Jan 2005, 16:30
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, now that I have overcome the crash of my computer and the whack in the head from the US navy, I can post!

While I am surely disappointed, I am not embittered, since it would do no good! Pilots, perhaps more than most types of folks, are realists, since one learns fairly early on that arguing with the oil pressure gauge will not make the ground slow its onrush! We deal with it, and march on.

Things I do know as fact, not just as opinion:

1) The S-92 (H-92) carries more and goes farther than the EH-101, with today's engines or tomorrow's.
2) The safety standard of the two is separated by a full generation of helicopter technology
3) The selection was based on many factors, perhaps many that have little to so with helicopters.
4) My customer has spoken, and (like that oil pressure gauge) he speaks compellingly.

There are many battles in the future, the history of any product is not written by one selection.

Tynecastle, I must disagree with your statement that somehow two Brit operators "made" the S-76. If you are saying that the 76 is better than it ever was, I agree, and if you are saying that it was influenced by professonals who fly it and help spec it out I agree. If you think those two companies have cornered the market on brilliance, I have a very nice bridge across the Hudson River, one owner, few miles, that I would like to sell you!

To all ppruners:

You are a great bunch, thanks for the support, for the understanding and for the merciful use of small rapiers!