PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEP rating question- yes another, sorry
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2005, 09:29
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine under the old rules, with 95 hours total time, none of it complex or retractable. I did have an IMC and a night rating. It took the stated 5 hours instruction plus an hour and a bit for the test.

It's doable, as my experience shows. However - be honest with yourself. How often will you use it? Lack of currency means in the event of an engine loss the remaining engine just takes you to the accident site quicker. Unless you're going to do 30-40 hours of multi time a year, and are going to practice engine out procedures for some of that (In IMC as CZ says, if you are so rated) then it would be a waste of money.

In addition - have you got an IMC rating? Without that a twin is useless as it's a going places machine, not a "bimbling around the local area on a nice day" type aircraft. It's not necessary, but I'd recommend that rating first so at least you can use the aircraft at something close to approaching its full potential. Also it will improve your flying skills so that, when everything does turn 'pear-shaped', you've got some spare mental capacity to cope.

Flying a twin is a lot of fun, but it requires a more disciplined approach to planning and flying if it's to be done properly.