PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Presidential Helicopter Bid (and Result)
Old 29th Jan 2005, 06:29
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admit I've got mixed views on the result.

On a patriotic level, I'm obviously pleased for the British aerospace industry and workforce but, on the other hand, think taxpayers' money should be spent on home products whenever possible as a matter of policy and principle.

Did the best helicopter win? I don't know enough to express a view, but all the reports I've read about the 92 in Rotorheads and elsewhere have been extremely favourable.

Did politics play a part? Politics plays a part in everything to do with governments.
Does anyone seriously believe White House politics played no part in this decision? In normal times, it would have worked to Sikorsky's advantage as the American manufacturer but, after the British Prime Minister has spent so much time running around the world playing obedient lapdog to George W? And staying loyal to him even when much of what was said has been discredited and turns out to be untrue? Maybe we at least got something in return for Blair's blind loyalty.

On a personal level, I'm disappointed for Nick. He's a good friend and I know he worked so hard heading Sikorsky's bid - I saw it for myself when visiting him.
Many people assumed Sikorsky would automatically win because theirs was the American contender to fly the American President - I did. Nick never thought that, and always said there were many factors which might cause it to go either way.

I heartily agree with Shawn's comments. I would have understood if Nick had said he was taking a break from Rotorheads but, even when doing one of the most pressured and high-profile jobs he's done in his distinguished career, Nick still made the time to continue his contributions to this forum. I can't imagine many such senior company executives doing that.

Congratulations to Team 101.
Disappointed for you Nick - you couldn't have done more.